For our first math class of the new school year we did a “How Many Ways?” activity. We got to choose from 3 different numbers. The number we chose would be the answer to as many different kinds of math sentences we could think of in about 10 minutes. We got to choose from 4, 25, and 136.
- adding sentences
- subtraction sentences
- multiplication sentences (groups of)
- division sentences (fair shares)
- mixed operations
- sentences with 2 or more terms (e.g. 5+5+5+5+5 = 25)
- some number sentences using large numbers
- the zero property (e.g. 20 -20 +25= 25)
- You might notice the odd mistake too, but we think of mistakes as opportunities to learn something new!
After we had time to think of as many sentences as we could, we got together with our classmates who chose the same number and shared our learning.